Date of birth: 3 May 1978.
- 1989 – 1993: art school, Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine; studying all aspects of art.
- 1993 – 1997: art college, Dnepropetrovsk; studying frescos, mosaics, painting, wall painting, embroidery and tapestry.
- 1997 – 2003: National Academy of Arts and Architecture, Kiev, Ukraine; within Graphic Faculty and workshop of Professor V J Chebanik. Gained diploma ‘artist of book decorating’.
- 2003 – date: Post graduation studies carried out at National Academy of Arts and Architecture, Kiev; within Faculty of Design.
- 2003 – 2006: Post graduation
- 2000 – date: Providing book binding, book designing and handmade leather book making services to numerous satisfied customers.
- AVAL Bank, Kiev, Ukraine.
- Company Hapag-Lloyd – Express, Odessa, Ukraine.
- Komo-Lov, International Corporation, Moscow, Russia.
- New Channel Television Company (‘Rising Time’), Kiev.
- Premier Palace Hotel, Kiev.
- The Administration Office to the President of Ukraine.
- TRACE company, Odessa.
- In addition to the above customers, works are also carried out for private collectors from around the world: the USA, Japan, Russia, France, Greece, and of course, Ukraine and the United Kingdom.
- Featured upon and appeared in daily morning Ukrainian television programme, ‘Rising Time’
- Participated and exhibited works in 2003, at National Art Museum exhibition ‘Open Book’, Kiev.
Creativity in my life
I started drawing when I was a child, approximately 3 years old. I liked drawing flowers, the sky, the sun, holiday's postcards on New Year, Easter and Women' s Day. I wasnot born in the artist's family: my father is military officer and my mother is a doctor, but they have creative skills, my father has beautiful hand-writing. I am the second child in the family. I have a sister. She is 5 years older than me. My first exhibition was in 1984 when I was 6 years old. This was the exhibition of children's drawings. My sister and other children aged from 6 to 12 took part in it, but I took the first place there.
I was drawing all the time and asked my parents to sent me to the Art' s School, and when I was 11 years old I entered it. 4 years later I graduated from school and Art's School with the best grades and entered Art's College the department of monumental painting. I liked it because it was new for me and I had a good teacher. I studied murals, tapesty, stained glass window, icons, mosaics, frescos, decorative art. It was very interesting for me. Then, when I was 19 years old, I decided to continue my training and in 1997 I entered Ukrainian Academy of Fine Art's and Architecture the faculty of graphics. I studied engraving, lithography, etching, poster and calligraphy. It was new and very interesting for me. During all years of training I studied drawing, paiting (with oils and water-colours) , sculpture, history of Arts of different periods. When I was the second year student I had a very important event in my life - I met professor V. Ya. Chebanik. He is a very famous artist, who deals with graphics. He is a very kind and interesting person. He is an elderly man with huge experience. He taught me bookbinding and book design. I want to explane what kind of book I make. They are handmade books. I keep to old Bisantium traditions of bookbinding from the 12 century. I use leather of different colour and quality, paper of different kind and various decorations such as shells, stones, fur, feathers, snakes leather, so on. I combain old traditions with up-to-date ones, contemporary views, fresh kinds of books. We live in the 21-st century. And in the all centuries art had the purpose to bring beautiful ideas to people's souls, give people Clesthetic pleasure and satisfaction. Modern art attracts people's attention to contemporary life, their main problems such as war, pollution, violence, hunger. I try to change the way a book looks like, change it according to contemporary styles. It is quite difficult, because I can't change the form and the purpose of a book. We know at all times a book is some information, transmission of experience and knowlege. Nowadays we have a computer and many people lost their interest to a book, but I believe a computer will never replace a book. As any book has its soul, heart and body. I help a book to «change clothers» when it is old. I can restore old books, I give them, a so called «second life».
Bookbinding combines sculpture, painting and graphics. When I am making a book I realise myself as a versatile artist. The most important things in bookbinding are the material and work quality and the idea. It takes me from 1 week up to a month to make a book. It is very difficult work but at the same time it is very interesting. I like books and books design. I think this is my calling. Possibly I made my first book when I was 13 years old and all my life I have devoted to my goal and my calling. I think making books is my destiny.
I studied in the Academy from 1997 till 2003. Last year at the end of June I graduated from it. My diploma work dealt with binding design, it was entitled «Time and Space». In it I represented series of 5 books: 1) a copy of the old Bisantium book; 2) a traditional Japanise book «40 Japanise proverbs»; 3) a contemporary book made of red leather and shells; 4) a book with fur; 5) a bookbinding-miniature made of golden leather. My diploma includes 3 sheets of traditional Japanese calligraphy of the Japanise proverbs. I have been studing the Japanise style, art, culture, traditions for 4 years. It has influenced on me and my works.
I like learning and training as it gives me a possibility to improve my creative skills being among excellent teachers, spending my time on creative search. I guess I found my way in art and I need to stick to it and gift my soul to people through my works..